Re: huge filesystems

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 01:27:18 EST

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:53:48AM -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> My question is, what is the current status of huge filesystems - IE,
> filesystems that exceed 2 terabytes, and hopefully also exceeding 16
> terabytes?

people can and do have >2T filesystems now. some people on x86 have
hit the 16TB limit and others are large still with 64-bit CPUs

> Am I correct in assuming that the usual linux buffer cache only goes
> to 16 terabytes?

for 32-bit CPUs

> What about the "LBD" patches - what limits are involved there, and
> have they been rolled into a Linus kernel, or one or more vendor
> kernels?

LBD is in 2.6.x and is required for >2TB but sometimes that means >1TB
or even smaller depending on the drivers

many drivers simply won't go above 2T even with CONFIG_LBD so you need
to poke about and see what works for you (or use md/raid to glue
together multiple 2TB volumes)