Re: make -j4 gets stuck w/ ccache over NFS - solved!

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 11:35:24 EST

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:47:37AM -0500, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions. It wasn't very important to me so I didn't
> make time to follow up on it. I was just playing w/ ccache at the time.
>
> Finally I noticed this patch from -mm1... and it solves the problem.
>
> nfsd--lockd-dont-try-to-match-callback-requests-against-export-table.patch
>
> How I tested: I applied the first 12 patches in 2.6.11-mm1; the above
> mentioned was last - couldn't reproduce the bug. When I unapplied just
> that one, I saw it again.
>
> original bug report:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110238645132535&w=3
>
> Greg: have you considered this one for 2.6.11.x?

That patch depends on 3 of the previous 4 patches. Taken together I
doubt they meet the criteria for 2.6.11.x.

It's probably possible to write a shorter and more obvious one-off fix
just for that tree, but I'm not sure it's worth it for a bug that, while
it's obviously extremely annoying for some workloads, doesn't quite
reach the level of, say, a root exploit.

--b.