Re: Someting's busted with serial in 2.6.11 latest

From: Russell King
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 18:11:54 EST

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 03:40:11PM -0700, Steven Cole wrote:
> Russell King wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:50:49PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> >
> >>Some checkin since 2.6.11 has caused the serial driver to
> >>drop characters. Console output is chopped and messages are garbled.
> >>Even the shell prompt gets truncated.
> >

> > There was a problem with 2.6.11-bk1 which should now be resolved.
> >
> > Is this still true of the latest bk kernel? Also, seeing the kernel
> > messages may provide some hint.
> >

> Here is a post I made perhaps relevant to this.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=111042402103071&w=2
>
> I'll test current bk tonight, but I don't see any recent fix to
> drivers/serial/8250.c when browsing linux.bkbits.net/linux-2.6.

There are only two recent revisions to 8250.c. One adds slightly buggy
Xscale UART detection, the other fixes the buggyness.

What I don't know is whether either of these two changes are the cause
of your exact problems, because I don't actually know what you're
testing. Since Stephen's bug is a lot more well defined than yours,
it makes sense to tackle Stephen's situation first.

The reason for this is taht pppd getting a SIGHUP doesn't actually tell
me anything at all.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core