Re: AGP bogosities

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 19:13:47 EST

On Friday 11 March 2005 17:33, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 05:26:14PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>> Does no-one read dmesg output any more?
>
>For many people it's overly verbose and long --- so I assume they
> just tune it out.
>
>Sometimes I wonder if it would be a worth-while effort to trim the
>dmesg boot text down to what users really *need* to know. We could
>retain most of the other stuff at a different log-level which would
> be exposed by a kernel command line parameter or something during
> boot for when people have problems.

With all due respect to the people that it will take to make that
happen, thats a heck of a good idea. However, what I'd like to see
is a difference between whats output to the screen during bootup (set
that to relatively quiet unless a problem is hit) but to continue to
log the full output to /var/log/dmesg-$date when the ring is dumped
and syslog can then take the rest of it.

Overwriting /var/log/dmesg at every boot removes a lot of forensic
info that could come in handier than sliced bread and bottled beer at
times. Let rotatelog take care of deleting anything more than a week
out of date so they don't take up space once their usefullness has
expired.

How many 'aye's do I hear?

--
Cheers, Gene