Re: AGP bogosities

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 19:19:07 EST

On Friday 11 March 2005 18:09, Paul Mackerras wrote:
>Dave Jones writes:
>> I'm fascinated that not a single person picked up on this problem
>> whilst the agp code sat in -mm. Even if DRI isn't enabled,
>> every box out there with AGP that uses the generic routines
>> (which is a majority), should have barfed loudly when it hit
>> this check during boot. Does no-one read dmesg output any more ?
>
>That loop would only get executed when you enable AGP, which I think
>would generally only happen when starting X with DRI enabled.
>
>Paul.

Which I am doing here I believe, and my current dmesg ring does go
back to the tail end of whats in /var/log/dmesg, but: Its got a lot
of crap about tainted kernels, AND its not by any means all from the
stuff that pcHDTV-1.6 builds and inserts into the /var/modules/`name
-r`/kernel/drivers etc etc directories. Its also bitching about
nearly every i2c module loaded! With lines along the general theme
of this:
--------------
i2c_core: No versions for exported symbols. Tainting kernel.
i2c_algo_bit: No versions for exported symbols. Tainting kernel.
kobject_register failed for i2c_algo_bit (-17)
[<c020d487>] kobject_register+0x57/0x60
[<c012c3a0>] mod_sysfs_setup+0x50/0xb0
[<c012d589>] load_module+0x889/0xb70
[<c012d8c6>] sys_init_module+0x56/0x220
[<c01026d9>] sysenter_past_esp+0x52/0x75
-----------
and yet, gkrellm, and sensors are both working quite nicely. WTH?
I am rather certain that versioning info in the modules IS turned on
in the .config:

However, a grep of .config makes a liar out of me, it is NOT set:

[root@coyote linux-2.6.11.2]# grep VERSION .config
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
# CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set
# CONFIG_MODULE_SRCVERSION_ALL is not set

Rebuild coming up. :(

>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: