Re: Strange memory leak in 2.6.x

From: Tobias Hennerich
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 07:36:59 EST

Hello,

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 07:23:40PM +0100, Alexander Nyberg wrote:
> Yikes something isn't right with these backtraces that page_owner is
> showing. Even without frame pointers it shouldn't be this noisy.

If you could send me some pointers to documents how to interpret
this output, i would appreciate it.

> I'm afraid I'm going to need to ask for more help, could you please
> select CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER under
> Kernel hacking => "Compile the kernel with frame pointers"

Done. Our .config looks now like this:

#
# Kernel hacking
#
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
# CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_FS is not set
CONFIG_PAGE_OWNER=y
CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y
CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y
# CONFIG_KPROBES is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC is not set
# CONFIG_4KSTACKS is not set
CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
CONFIG_X86_MPPARSE=y

See http://download.hennerich.de/page_owner_sorted_20050312_1040.bz2

> If it works better with CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER, i'm also going to have to
> ask you to do another one of these runs that you just did.

The cronjob which generates each 10 minutes a new actual file of
page_owner_sorted is still running... and I'm afraid that we will
run into problems sooner or later again...

Best regards Tobias

--
T+T Hennerich GmbH --- Zettachring 12a --- 70567 Stuttgart
Fon:+49(711)720714-0 Fax:+49(711)720714-44 Vanity:+49(700)HENNERICH