Re: 2.6.11-mm3 mouse oddity

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 15:22:08 EST

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:01:46AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:25:12 +0100, Helge Hafting
> > <helge.hafting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > 2.6.11-mm1 and earlier: mouse appear as /dev/input/mouse0
> > > 2.6.11-mm3: mouse appear as /dev/input/mouse1
> > >
> > > No big problem, one change to xorg.conf and I got the mouse back.
> > > I guess it wasn't supposed to change like that though?
> > >

> > Vojtech activated scroll handling in keyboard code by default so now
> > your keyboard is mapped to the mouse0 and the mouse moved to mouse1.
>
> We cannot ship a kernel with this change, surely? Our users would come
> hunting for us with pitchforks.

Mouse device numbers are defined to be unstable because of hotplug.

Most users use /dev/input/mice, where this won't have impact.

The officially correct solution is to use udev to get stable device
names.

The change is easily reverted - just change the 'atkbd.scroll' default
value.

> > Vojtech, is is possible to detect whether a keyboard has scroll
> > wheel(s) by its ID?
>
> What sort of keyboard has a scroll wheel??

Many today. Microsoft, Logitech, most "office" and "internet" keyboards.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR