Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: [RFC] Changes to the driver model class code.

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 17:14:10 EST

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:14:40 -0800, David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You still haven't answered my question. My observation was that
> only the class code can in any sense be called "new" ... so your
> blanket statement seemed to overlook several essential points!
>
> Which parts of the driver model were you thinking of?
>
> That pre-driver model stuff went away in maybe 2.6.5 or so, I
> forget just when.

I think I was shopping around for the examples of proper driver model
integration in 2.6.2 - 2.6.3 timeframe for the serio bus. I was
looking at how USB was working around the fact that one can not
add/remove children from the probe/remove methods. I can not tell you
what exactly gave me the impression that conversion is still in
progress, probably the comments like this:

/* FIXME should device_bind_driver() */
iface->driver = driver;
usb_set_intfdata(iface, priv);
return 0;

Now I see it was changed shortly after I looked there. And I see that
my impression was wrong, it _is_ tightly integrated with the driver
model now.

> If you think those changes can easily be
> reversed, I suggest you think again ... they enabled a LOT of
> likewise-overdue cleanups.

Note that I am arguing for keeping existing interface, not removing it.

--
Dmitry