Re: 2.6.11 USB broken on VIA computer (not just ACPI)

From: Robert W. Fuller
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 00:33:43 EST

I never actually saw it work until I added the noapic option to the 2.6.11.2 boot. Now I can usually my USB mouse! Of course the downside to specifying noapic is only one CPU is servicing interrupts on my SMP system.

It certainly doesn't work under 2.4.28, but I haven't tried specifying noapic to that kernel. Would that be useful information?

Andrew Morton wrote:
"Robert W. Fuller" <orangemagicbus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This isn't limited to the ACPI case. My BIOS is old enough that ACPI is not supported because the kernel can't find RSDP. I found that the USB works if I boot with "noapic." This is probably sub-optimal on an SMP machine. If don't boot with "noapic" I get the following errors:

Did it work OK under previous kernels? If so, which versions?