Re: 2.6.11-mm3 mouse oddity

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 04:42:01 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:25:12 +0100, Helge Hafting
<helge.hafting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2.6.11-mm1 and earlier: mouse appear as /dev/input/mouse0
2.6.11-mm3: mouse appear as /dev/input/mouse1

No big problem, one change to xorg.conf and I got the mouse back.
I guess it wasn't supposed to change like that though?

Vojtech activated scroll handling in keyboard code by default so now
your keyboard is mapped to the mouse0 and the mouse moved to mouse1.

We cannot ship a kernel with this change, surely? Our users would come
hunting for us with pitchforks.

I like it, actually. Now I have support for the wheels on this
logitech wireless keyboard. Note that most users won't get
trouble, because they use /dev/mice. Which is something
all single-head machines can do.

Vojtech, is is possible to detect whether a keyboard has scroll
wheel(s) by its ID?

What sort of keyboard has a scroll wheel??

The logitech cordless keyboard is one. It has two wheels.
The one on the side works generates up-arrow/down arrow when used,
and now also events on /dev/mouse0. The other is a wheel above
the keys, lying on the side. Logitech apparently meant it to be used as
a volume control, which should be possible now that it attaches to
/dev/mouse0.

Note that /dev/mice isn't always the answer - dual seat machines
need to separate the various mice and keyboards.

Helge Hafting