Re: Another drm/dri lockup - when moving the mouse

From: Roland Scheidegger
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 07:18:23 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:
I have reported this before, but now I have some more data.

I have an office pc with this video card:
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]

In previous reports I found that starting xfree or xorg with dri support
cause a hang after a little while. It seems that this only happens when
the mouse moves. Something I didn't discover before because there
are lots of unplanned mouse movements - the thing is sensitive and jumps
a pixel now and then when I move stuff on the desk.
What xorg / xfree / drm versions are you talking about?

Taking care not to move the mouse, I can start X and run glxgears
with acceleration. The slightest mouse movement during 3D activity
kills the machine instantly so it only responds to the reset button. Mouse
movement without 3D activity may or may not kill the pc.

Could there be a problem where 3D-stuff and code to move the mouse
"steps on each other toes" somehow? Or some way to test this further,
by disabling the mouse or force some kind of software fallback for
the mouse cursor?
You could use Option "SWcursor" "true".
Since it crashes even without 3d sometimes, the problem does not seem to be related to dri (as in, dri driver). Sounds more like it's related to CP activity. Not sure what would cause this, there seem to be a lot of mouse cursor movement crashes reported lately... Do you have a USB mouse whose controller shares the IRQ with the graphic card maybe?

Roland