Re: 32Bit vs 64Bit

From: peto
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 11:09:16 EST

regatta wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the 64Bit mode in AMD 64bit

My question is if I run a 32Bit application in Optreon AMD 64Bit with
Linux 64Bit does this give my any benefit ? I mean running 32Bit
application in 64Bit machine with 64 Linux is it better that running
it in 32Bit or doesn't make any different at all ?

It differs on type of the appliction you used. measured values in Linux
shows that x86-64 64 bit app+OS+CPU have performance from 120% to 500% of the performance of the 32 bit conterpart

in MS OS it is x86-64 as 80%-190% of the 32 bit MS OS

It is because pointer manipultaion takes longer time because of higer width od the 64 bit pointers but 64 bit multiplication is 6 times faster no x86-64 system then in 32 bit system and in Windows there is tragic memory management tak causes higher pointer manipulation. But there are pracitcaly no anothere performance differency in both architectures

Yours faithfuly
Peter Fodrek