Re: oom with 2.6.11

From: Christian Kujau
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 21:02:26 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> Some application went berzerk, used up all the swap and then oomed the box.
>
> You could perhaps run `top -d1' then hit M so the output is sorted by
> bloatiness, then try to catch the culprit.

i've already done that. as OOM happens when i am not around, i did that
with "ps":

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/3/12/88
http://nerdbynature.de/bits/sheep/2.6.11/oom/daily_stats-2.6.11-rc5-bk2.log.gz

> But it would be better to have some app which prints the N most
> memory-hungry processes every second and simply scrolls that up the screen.
> I'm not aware of such a thing, but it could be cooked up via
> /proc/N/cmdline and /proc/N/statm.

i hope the link above does reveal this information.

i just wrote a bug report for the (debian), ppp package, but to know
*where* the memory goes to would really help, i think.

thank you,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #72: