Re: Call for help: list of machines with working S3

From: Maximilian Engelhardt
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 15:08:44 EST

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 22:20 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Stefan provided me initial list of machines where S3 works (including
> video). If you have machine that is not on the list, please send me a
> diff. If you have eMachines... I'd like you to try playing with
> vbetool (it worked for me), and if it works for you supplying right
> model numbers.
>
> Pavel
>

> Video issues with S3 resume
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 2003-2005, Pavel Machek
>
> During S3 resume, hardware needs to be reinitialized. For most
> devices, this is easy, and kernel driver knows how to do
> it. Unfortunately there's one exception: video card. Those are usually
> initialized by BIOS, and kernel does not have enough information to
> boot video card. (Kernel usually does not even contain video card
> driver -- vesafb and vgacon are widely used).
>
> This is not problem for swsusp, because during swsusp resume, BIOS is
> run normally so video card is normally initialized. S3 has absolutely
> no change to work with SMP/HT. Be sure it to turn it off before
> testing (swsusp should work ok, OTOH).
>
> There are few types of systems where video works after S3 resume:
>
> (1) systems where video state is preserved over S3.
>
> (2) systems where it is possible to call video bios during S3
> resume. Unfortunately, it is not correct to call video BIOS at that
> point, but it happens to work on some machines. Use
> acpi_sleep=s3_bios.
>
> (3) systems that initialize video card into vga text mode and where BIOS
> works well enough to be able to set video mode. Use
> acpi_sleep=s3_mode on these.
>
> (4) on some systems s3_bios kicks video into text mode, and
> acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode is needed.
>
> (5) radeon systems, where X can soft-boot your video card. You'll need
> patched X, and plain text console (no vesafb or radeonfb), see
> http://www.doesi.gmxhome.de/linux/tm800s3/s3.html.
>
> (6) other radeon systems, where vbetool is enough to bring system back
> to life. Do vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/delme; echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep;
> vbetool post; vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/delme; setfont
> <whatever>, and your video should work.

Tried all this on my Laptop but nothing seems to work for me.
I do "echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep" and the systems seems to go into S3.
When I press some key to wake it up again it powers up but I get nothing
than a black screen. It's not only the video card that's not working,
because the only thing it reacts to is Sysrq (without screen of course).
One additional thing I found is that in this state the HDD led keeps
lighting all the time untill I reboot my system. After rebooting I
couldn't find anything interesting in my logs.

Is there any way I could get S3 working on my laptop?

some data:
Acer Travel Mate 661lci
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.10
kernel 2.6.11

I did all this testing with a minimal kernel that only had the
absolutely necessary drivers.

Thanks for help,
Maxi