Re: linux: detect application crash

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 18:52:03 EST

Allison wrote:
Hi,

Several times when I worked with Windows, I have had a scenario when I
am editing a file and saved some time ago and then the application
crashes and I lose all recent data.

Can the operating system detect all application crashes ? If so, why
can't the OS save the user data to disk before the application quits ?

How does this work in Linux. I was curious if such a functionality
already exists in Linux. If not, what are the issues involved in
implementing this functionality.

The OS doesn't have enough information to be able to save the app's data in the event of a crash in a form that would be usable or meaningful, since only the app knows what format its data structures are in.

The app itself could do this (installing a signal handler for segfaults, etc.) but the problem is that whatever caused the program to crash may have also left its data in a messed-up state.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx