Need break driver<-->pci-device automatic association

From: Jacques Goldberg
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 04:00:55 EST

Not subscribing because this is a one time question.
Please Cc: to the reply address above , Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx

Several winmodem devices come with a hardware burnt-in identification
misleading the system to load the serial driver.
As a result, it is not possible to load the special driver because the
PCI device is grabbed by the serial driver.

Question: is there a way, as of kernels 2.6.10 and above, to release the
device from the serial driver, without having to recompile the kernel?

We know how to attain the goal by patching 8250_pci.c but doing this will
quickly generate chaos. We know to detect the condition in the custom
driver. The fix would be trivial if we could break the tie with the
serial driver.

Thanks - Jacques