RE: Need break driver<-->pci-device automatic association

From: Stuart MacDonald
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 09:42:01 EST

From: Jacques Goldberg
> To be ugly or to never be up to date, that's the question.
> We did patch 8250_pci.c but there is no way to build a
> stable list of
> the devices to be handled that way.
> We will thus spend some time on the hot unplug solution.

I think what you want might be accomplished if the serial driver was
compiled as a module. Then have your driver grab all the PCI devices
it wants, and they shouldn't be grabbed by the serial driver when it
loads. If you can't get your driver to load before the serial driver
for whatever reason, unloading the serial driver should give up the
devices it had claimed.

..Stu