Re: Kernel panic - r8169 on 2.6.11-rc1-mm1

From: Francois Romieu
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 12:05:50 EST

Cameron Harris <thecwin@xxxxxxxxx> :
[r8169 crash]
> Linux laptop 2.6.11-rc1-mm1 #2 SMP Sun Jan 16 22:36:26 GMT 2005 i686
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]
> I would try a newer kernel, but the command line options for
> specifying the framebuffer settings seems to have changed in the
> latest kernel and i haven't had enough time to work out how to specify
> it.

If you can not upgrade the kernel, I can not do anything for you since
several fixes went in after 2.6.11-rc1-mm1.

Regarding your r8169 issue, I suggest:
1) download linux kernel 2.6.12-rc1
2) apply on top of it:
http://www.fr.zoreil.com/linux/kernel/2.6.x/2.6.11/r8169/patches/r8169-570.patch
3) avoid the proprietary tainting module

Please Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx for issues related to network drivers.

--
Ueimor