Re: SATA Promise TX4 Crash

From: Raphael Jacquot
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 04:46:13 EST

Brad Campbell wrote:
Neil Whelchel wrote:

Hello,
I have two Promise SATA TX4 cards connected to a total of 6 Maxtor 250 GB
drives (7Y250M0) configured into a RAID 5. All works well with small
disk load, but when a large number of requests are issued, it causes crash
similar to the attached, except that the errors before the crash are on a

EFLAGS: 00010046 (2.6.11.2)
EIP is at scsi_put_command+0xbb/0x100

Oooh Oooh Oooh, pick me Mr Kotter!
I have seen this repeatedly, fought it and "apparently" beat it by upgrading my PSU.
I could reliably reproduce it by running a raid resync and issuing SMART queries
to the drives, but after a PSU upgrade it has gone away.
I have tried hard to reproduce it recently but I just can't get it to crash anymore.

I have a similar setup 4x SATA-TX4 cards and 15x 7Y250M0 drives. I'm thought it was actually
a bug, but as I can't reproduce it anymore it's making it a bit hard to track down.

Not much help, sorry.

Brad

I have similar crashes with a (netbooted) epia and 4 250G Seagate 7200.8 PATA drives.
removing the kernel preempt stuff & realtime scheduling and stuff alleviates the issue a bit but it occured again yesterday.

a quirk in the epia forces me to reboot the box by power cycling it.