RE: [RFC/Patch 0/12] ACPI based root bridge hot-add

From: Sy, Dely L
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 20:15:31 EST

On Monday, March 21, 2005 10:05 AM, Rajesh Shah wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:13:32PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > - Does this break the i386 acpiphp functionality?

> Dely Sy had tested hotplug with an earlier version of my patches
> (with minor differences from the current series) on i386 and it
> worked fine. She probably hasn't tested the latest one. Dely,
> could you check that please?

I tested an earlier version of this patch on my i386 system with
PCI Express hot-plug slots. The i386 acpiphp functionality worked
fine - i.e. I was able to do hot-plug of single- & multi-function
cards.

I'll check this new patch on my system.

> > - Have you tested other pci hotplug systems with this patch
> > series? Like pci express hotplug, standard pci hotplug,
> > cardbus, etc?

> No, because I the one system I have access to isn't doing any
> hot-plug. I'm working on fixing that but was also hoping to hear
> from others who surely have access to more machines than I do.

PCI Express hot-plug has been tried (see above). The original
acpiphp driver won't detect hot-pluggable slots that locate on the
p2p bridge (PCI Express to PCI/PCI-X bridge) behind another p2p
bridge (root port). Therefore, the acpiphp can't be used for
standard PCI hot-plug in my system.

Thanks,
Dely