Re: 2.6.11: suspending laptop makes system randomly unstable

From: Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 06:32:47 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro <miguelanxo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just compiled 2.6.11 from a 2.6.10 configuration for a desktop machine (with kernel preemption activated).
Doing a make oldconfig bring some new options. I selected the default value (for my system) for them, so I keep configuring "make great kernel lock preemtive" to true (complete kernel configuration follows).

Apart from the ALPS touchpad thing (see "2.6.11: touchpad unresponsive"), the new kernel keeps:

- Setting randomly "last battery full charge" to a huge value (example: 400 Ah when max battery capacity is 38 Ah) so I get random charging/discharging timing patterns
- Locking "softly" the system: for example, preventing new proceses from spawning. For example, if I suspend the laptop while in Xwindows, resuming will keep X but new proceses can't be started. Changing to a virtual console doesn't get past the login step, as a new shell can't be started.
- Disabling/enabling double-clicks in the synaptic touchpad. Randomly.

All of these symthoms are more or less randomly. As far as I can tell, everything is ok before suspending but does Random Nasty Things(tm) after coming out from suspension.

Well, at least system clock works better than in 2.6.10.

I will try to deactivate the main kernel lock thingie and see if that helps.

You appear to have about five bugs here. Do any of them remain in
2.6.12-rc1?

Well, one thing outstands: the synaptic touchpad is now really comfortable to use. Almost everything works, including simple and double clicks, and scrolling. Dragging is still broken. I must note I'm now using a synaptic Xinput driver, as suggested.

The system seems much more stable in regard to suspension/resuming. The USB subsystem has kept working the first time I suspended and everything came back perfect. The second one in a row, the USB subsystem was halted, but doing a "modprobe -r uhci_hcd; modprobe uhci_hcd" made my USB periferals (keyboard and mouse) work again.

As for the battery charging pattern, I can't say anything definitive, but it looks good ATM.

No more "Ramdom Nasty Things(tm)", the clock works ok and there are no issues with proccess spawning.

9/10?