Re: forkbombing Linux distributions

From: Hikaru1
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 07:52:16 EST

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:49:58PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >This will prevent it from exceeding the procs limits, but it will *not*
> >completely stop it.
>
> What if the few procs that he may spawn also grab so much memory so your
> machine disappears in swap-t(h)rashing?
While I have figured out how it'd be possible in theory to prevent things
from grabbing so much memory that your computer enters swap death, I haven't
been able to figure out what reasonable defaults would be for myself or
others. Soooo, I suggest everyone who is worried about this check the
manpage for 'limits' which tells you how to do this. My machine runs various
rediculously large and small programs - I'm not sure a forkbomb could be
stopped without hindering the usage of some of the games on my desktop
machine.

On a server or something with multiple users however, I'm sure you could
configure each user independently with resource limits. Most servers
don't have users that play games which take up 90% of the ram. :)

In any case, I was forced by various smarter-than-I people to come up with a
better solution to our problem as they were able to make forkbombs that did
a much better job of driving me crazy. :)

If you edit or create /etc/limits and set as the only line

* U250

It'll do the same thing as the sysctl hack, except root will still be able
to run programs. Programs like ps and kill/killall.

If you've actually implemented the sysctl.conf hack I spoke of previously, I
suggest setting it back to whatever it used to be before, or deleting the
line from /etc/sysctl.conf altogether.

/etc/limits does a better job at stopping forkbombs.

This is an example of a program in C my friends gave me that forkbombs.
My previous sysctl.conf hack can't stop this, but the /etc/limits solution
enables the owner of the computer to do something about it as root.

int main() { while(1) { fork(); } }

Hikaru