Re: Query: Kdump: Core Image ELF Format

From: Fernando Luis Vazquez Cao
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 23:31:43 EST

Hi all.

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 18:20 +0530, vivek goyal wrote:
> Core image ELF headers are prepared before crash and stored at a safe
> place in memory. These headers are retrieved over a kexec boot and final
> elf core image is prepared for analysis.

Regarding the preparation of the ELF headers, I think we should also
take into consideration hot-plug memory and create appropriate
mechanisms to deal with it.

Assuming that both insertion and removal of memory trigger a hotplug
event that is subsequently handled by the relevant hotplug agent(*), the
latter could be modified so that, on successful memory onlining,
additional PT_LOAD headers are created and tucked in a safe place
together with the others.

Since ELF headers are to be prepared by kexec a new option could be
added to it, so that we can call kexec from a hotplug script to carry
out the aforementioned tasks.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

(*) The last patches posted by Dave Hansen already support memory
onlining from an /etc/hotplug script.

Fernando