Re: Samsung 40G drive locking up 2.6.11

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 04:22:28 EST

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 16:21, Bodo Eggert wrote:
> Denis Vlasenko <vda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/null with this disk
> > kills the system. Drive may do it's work
> > for minute or two, but then it does 'klak' sound.
>
> Did you try shdiag or hutil from samsung.com?

No. I am not worried about driver being possibly defective etc.
This happens. I am mostly unhappy with this possibly defective
drive being able to solidly lock up a Linux system!
(Linux is on *hda*, I don't think it's ok for IO problems
on *hdc* to affect hda and overall system stability).

Unfortunately, the disk promptly stopped misbehaving.
I'll keep an eye on it, tho.
--
vda