Re: lseek on /proc/kmsg

From: linux-os
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 07:18:02 EST

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

1> Sure, read() needs to be modified to respect the file-position
1> set by kmsg_seek(). I don't think you can get away with the
1> call back into do_syslog.

2>I'm not sure that seek makes any sense on that, since it is more like a
2>pipe than a normal file..

Well, seek(fd, 0, SEEK_END) could be used to flush a pipe's buffers.

Yep. That's what I tried to do. Just returns 0 and continues to
contain all the cached data.

0>> +static loff_t kmsg_seek(struct file *filp, loff_t offset, int origin) {
0>> + if(origin != 2 /* SEEK_END */ || offset < 0) { return -ESPIPE; }
3> "Allow" seeking past the end of the buffer?

Well, what does lseek(fd, >0, SEEK_END) do on normal files?

Goes to the end plus offset. A subsequent read returns EOF
or 0 depending upon your read mechanism. This is what I wanted
to do but with no offset.

Currently, I do this crap:

for(;;)
{
pfd.fd = ifd;
pfd.events = POLLIN;
pfd.revents = 0;
if(poll(&pfd, 1, 0) <= 0)
break;
(void)read(ifd, ibuf, BUF_LEN);
}

I should be able to just lseek(ifd, 0 SEEK_END);

--

Cheers,
Dick Johnson