Re: How's the nforce4 support in Linux?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 04:31:50 EST

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 09:20:29AM +0000, Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently contemplating going for an Athlon 64 system. However,
> I'll primarily be using a Linux-based OS (Gentoo, namely), so I need
> to know how well the chipsets are supported currently.
>
> I'd really like to go Via - but the crummy KT890 / VT8237 combo sucks
> - mainly due to the lack of SATA II with NCQ. I share the sentiments
> of the person in a post in the AnandTech forums
> (http://tinyurl.com/6d9bx) who says:
>
> "The feature set on the K8T890 sucks. It was supposed to use the
> VT8251 southbridge, bringing SATA-II/NCQ, HD Audio, etc.
> Unfortunately, this southbridge has since dissappeared off the face of
> the earth, and all the current K8T890 boards use the old VT8237.
> nForce4, on the other hand, has SATA-II/NCQ, hardware firewall, nice
> software overclocking/monitoring tools (ntune), gigabit lan, etc. On
> top of that, performance and overclocking is pretty damn good. I was
> at one point looking forward to the K8T890, but considering how much
> of a joke the whole product line has been (lacking features, months of
> delays with no explanation, lack of any variety of retail boards), I
> have to say I'd avoid it like the plague."

Well, let's cut through the B.S. ;-)

* Even when the SATA core is updated to support NCQ, nForce will not
support it under Linux. No hardware info.

* "hardware firewall" -- sounds silly. Pretty sure Linux doesn't support
it in any case.

* overclocking -- overclockers are always playing with fire. any
overclocked hardware is suspect and unsupportable.

* via comes with gigabit lan these days. My own VIA-based Athlon64
system comes with r8169 gigabit.

Jeff