Re: security/keys/key.c broken with defconfig

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 09:09:43 EST

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, David Howells wrote:

> Jesper Juhl <juhl-lkml@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > If I just do a 'make defconfig' and then try to build security/keys/ the
> > build breaks. Doing 'make allyesconfig' fixes it by defining CONFIG_KEYS
> > which makes include/linux/key-ui.h include the full struct key definition.
> >
> > I've not attempted to fix this yet, but thought I'd at least report it.
> >

> > juhl@dragon:~/download/kernel/linux-2.6.12-rc1-mm1$ make defconfig
> > juhl@dragon:~/download/kernel/linux-2.6.12-rc1-mm1$ make security/keys/
>
> Ah. Why would you do that last command at all?

I had made a few small changes in there and wanted to see if they compiled
cleanly, but I didn't want to build cleanly and assumed that the build
system would figure out any dependencies. Obviously I forgot to enable
CONFIG_KEYS and thus the stuff in security/keys/ is not happy.

> If you look in security/Makefile, you'll see that the security/keys/ directory
> is only entered if CONFIG_KEYS is defined; which in your config it isn't.

You are right. I had not looked into it that much, had I just tried to
"make security/" I'd have seen that the stuff in security/keys/ did not
build at all and would have realized my mistake. if the Makefile in
security/keys/ also checked for CONFIG_KEYS it would have been even more
obvious, but I guess that would just be bloat..?

In any case, there's no problem except for user error on my part.

--
Jesper Juhl