Various issues after rebooting

From: Olivier Fourdan
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 13:59:49 EST

Hi all,

I'm facing some various odd issues with a AMD64 based laptop (Compaq
R3480EA) I bought recently.

On first boot, everything is all right. The laptop runs flawlessly. But
if I shutdown the laptop and restart it, I can see all kind of strange
things happening.

1) the system clock runs 3 times faster,
2) the system is unable to mount cdroms,
3) modprobing nidswrapper cause a whole system freeze with the following
message:

CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
Bank 4: b200000000070f0f
Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt

I've tried with various kernels and distributions in 32bit and 64bit
modes but that make no differences.

I also tried disable ACPI, setting clock=[tsc|pmtmr|pti], diabling APIC,
etc. No luck. No matter how many reboots I do, the problem remains. The
only way to fix the problem is to keep the laptop off for a couple of
hours.

I thought of a hardware issue, but in WinXP, everything is fine. And in
the case of a hardware issue, I guess the problem would always show, not
just in Linux after a reboot.

My guess is that the BIOS doesn't re-initialize the hardware correctly
in case of a quick shutdown/reboot but WinXP might be initializing the
things by itself (it's a guess, I'm probably completely wrong).

Does that make any sense so someone? How could I help tracking down this
issue?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Olivier.