smbmount char problem

From: Leo
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 08:04:27 EST

Hello All:

I have a problem mounting a Win2k Server shared folder in linux.

mount -t smbfs -o username=leo,codepage=cp850,iocharset=iso8859-1 //<servername/d$ /mnt/pt

The part is mounted successfully after having entered a password.

The problem is that several accented characters (not all of them) appear incorrectly.

AFAIK Á, ã, õ appear as A, a, o when listed.

á,é, í, ó, ú , à .. ù, ç all appear correctly.

When listing files explicitly that contain the incorrect characters an error message like _file not found_ is returned (logical since in fact the files is named differently)

The real kicker is that smbclient's ftp-like interface displays the characters correctly.

the kernel (2.6.11-r5 on gentoo) uses iso-8859-1 as it's default nls character set though the smbfs module doesn't define a default nls for itself.

I've already tried cp860 (same results)

I've already sent a message to the samba boys and I was refered to you good folk.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Leo