Re: RFC: 2.6.release.patchlevel: Patch against 2.6.release[.0] ?

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 18:06:20 EST

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 14:51 -0800, L. A. Walsh wrote:
> Given the frequency with which stabilization patches may be released, it
> may not be practical to expect users to catch each release announcement
> and download each patch.

I highly suggest using ketchup for your kernel patching needs:
http://www.selenic.com/ketchup/

Here, I have a plain 2.6.11 kernel that I upgrade to 2.6.11.4. I then
want it to go right to 2.6.11.6.

dave@kernel:~/temp/linux-2.6.11$ ketchup 2.6.11.4
2.6.11 -> 2.6.11.4
Applying patch-2.6.11.4.bz2
dave@kernel:~/temp/linux-2.6.11$ ketchup 2.6.11.6
2.6.11.4 -> 2.6.11.6
Applying patch-2.6.11.4.bz2 -R
Applying patch-2.6.11.6.bz2
dave@kernel:~/temp/linux-2.6.11$

BTW, it also keeps a cache of local patches, and downloads if needed.
So, you'll see the downloads the first time that you use it for any
given patch.

Does that help?

-- Dave