Re: Strange memory problem with Linux booted from U-Boot

From: Eugene Surovegin
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 02:21:55 EST

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:57:52PM +0500, Ara Avanesyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some help on solving this strange problem.
> Here is what I have,
> I have a loadable module (linux.2.4.20) which contains a 2 mb static gloabal
> array.
> When I load it from linux booted via U-Boot the system crashes.
> Everything works ok if I do the same thing with the same linux booted with
> RedBoot.

As usual for such problems, check how different firmware configure
memory controller, etc. Get dump of relevant chip registers under
U-Boot and RedBoot and compare them.

Other possible problem area can be firmware -> kernel interface. I'm
not familiar with that particular chip and RedBoot, but it's not
uncommon for different firmware to have different conventions for the
environment in which kernel starts execution.

I'd recommend posting to the specific mail-lists, lkml doesn't seem
a good place for embedded and firmware related questions :)

--
Eugene