Re: vfat: why is shortname=lower the default?

From: Xuân Baldauf
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 08:27:38 EST

OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:

Xuân Baldauf <xuan--2004.03.29--linux-kernel--vger.kernel.org@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Why is shortname=lower the default mount option for vfat filesystems?
Because, with "shortname=lower", copying one FAT32 filesystem tree to
another FAT32 filesystem tree using Liux results in semantically
different filesystems. (E.g.: Filenames which were once "all
uppercase" are now "all lowercase").

The reason is only it's very long-standing behavior. When this
behavior was changed before, it seems an one user was confused at
least.

Personally I agree that "winnt" or "mixed" is proper.

However, if we want to change the default behavior, it would need to
be tested for some months, and if anyone has no objection it can
change I think.

One could make a slow transition, starting now with a warning like "vfat: warning: You are using "shortname=lower" as default. This may not be what you want. This default will change to "shortname=mixed" after 2005-07-01." if the shortname behaviour is not explicitly selected.

Thanks.

ciao,
Xuân. :-)

P.S.: I'm now trying to recover about 4M files from "lost case"...