Re: How's the nforce4 support in Linux?

From: Indrek Kruusa
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 15:55:23 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Indrek Kruusa wrote:

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Andi Kleen wrote:

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I won't disagree with your experiences. For me, outside of one brief
moment when the r8169 driver didn't work on Athlon64, it has worked
flawlessly for me.

RealTek 8169 is currently my favorite gigabit chip.

It does not seem to support DAC (or rather it breaks with DAC enabled), which makes it not very useful on any machine with >3GB of memory.

Driver bug. I can futz with it and get it to do 64-bit on my Athlon64.

Continuing with off-topic questions: is this "checksum off-load" usable with r8169? Is there any other reason (performance?) to use hardware TCP/IP checksumming than just "cool, a little chunk of software is hardwired again"?

It's usable, and enables "zero copy" feature.

I have seen you mentioned that this causes mainly troubles if you try to set it with ethtool. Is it still true?

Not sure what you are referring to.

Sorry - my brains interpretation was classic rumor case: discussion I remembered was about broken NIC not about enabling hw checksum. I referred to this one:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0503.3/0369.html

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:

Noone will complain on Linux if NIC is broken and produces wrong
checksum
and HW checksum offloading is enabled using ethtools.

Actually, that is a problem and people have definitely complained about it in the past.