Re: 2.6.11, USB: High latency?

From: David Brownell
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 20:44:06 EST

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 5:32 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 17:28 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 March 2005 4:51 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> > >
> > > This is the exact configuration of one of the users who reported the
> > > problem on LAU. Got a pointer to the patch? And what's the issue with
> > > IN transfers?
> >
> > This is what Greg just posted (and Linus merged into BK, so it'll be
> > in BK snapshots starting tomorrow):
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=111221966815043&w=2
> >
> > The issue with IN transfers is that microframe scheduling is ... tricky.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I found this patch, and sent the link to
> the LAU posters with the problem.
>
> There are apparently many users affected (some gave up and went back to
> 2.4), so there's good opportunity for testing.

Yes. That's why I was particularly glad to see the patches from Karsten;
they were the first ones that actually got "it works for me now!!" reports.

With luck, all full speed ISO-OUT transfers will now work through EHCI.
Even through the funky multi-TT hubs from Cypress. My main question is
whether this is also true of the TDI (nee ARC) EHCI silicon that's being
embedded in various non-PCI chips.

This all seems off-topic for latency though. :)

- Dave