Re: [RFC/PATCH] network configs: disconnect network options fromdrivers

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 15:04:21 EST

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:47:09PM -0800, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

- some Networking options need to be qualified with CONFIG_NET

You can something along the lines os:

menu "Networking options and protocols"
config NET
bool "Networking support"
default y

if NET

menu "Network device support"
endmenu

endif
endmenu

Then everything wrapped in between if NET/endif is dependent on NET
without stating this explicitly.
You will alos have the menu nice indented.

Yes, sounds good, thanks.

And I'll look into Thomas's suggestions.

Other than "sounds good," are there some comments on:

a. leaving IrDA and Bluetooth subsystem (with drivers) where they
are, which is under "Network options and protocols"
(I really don't want to split their drivers away from their
subsystem, just to put them under Network driver support.)

b. leaving SLIP, PPP, and PLIP where they are under Network driver
support, even though they say that they are "protocols" ?

Any others?

Thanks,
--
~Randy