Re: 2.6.12-rc1 won't boot if SCSI drivers are selected as modules

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 21:33:29 EST

On Apr 1, 2005 7:17 AM, K.R. Foley <kr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have an old Dell Precision 620 workstation with dual PIII 933's and
> 512 Mb memory. It also uses AIC-7899P U160/m SCSI controllers with one
> U160 drive (boot drive) and one slower 18 Gb. I have been running many
> different variants of the kernel on this system for quite some time with
> much success. However, no amount of gnashing of teeth or pulling of hair
> have been able to get this system to boot ANY 2.6.12-rc1 (including
> 2.6.12-rc1 vanilla, 2.6.12-rc1-mm3 and various RT patches) variant when
> the SCSI drivers are selected as modules (which is the way that I have
> always done it). Last night I built all of the necessary drivers into
> the kernel and the system boots fine.

I am also seeing this but not on every boot. My work around is to add
a 'sleep 2' to the nash script after the modules are loaded. Compling
everything in also worked.

This is discussed in the thread: "current linus bk, error mounting
root". I believe the answer is that it is not a kernel problem,
instead the init scripts have to be fixed.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx