Re: [RFC] CryptoAPI & Compression

From: Artem B. Bityuckiy
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 04:01:41 EST

Herbert Xu wrote:
Surely that defeats the purpose of pcompress? I thought the whole point
was to compress as much of the input as possible into the output?
Absolutely correct.

So 1G into 1G doesn't make sense here.
I thought you are afraid about the case of a totally random input which may *grow* after it has been compressed.

But 1G into 1M does and you
want to put as much as you can in there. Otherwise we might as well
delete crypto_comp_pcompress :)

Err, it looks like we've lost the conversation flow. :-) I commented your phrase: "The question is what happens when you compress 1 1GiB input buffer into a 1GiB output buffer."

Then could you please in a nutshell write what worries you or what issue you would like to clarify?

IIRC, you worried that in case of a large input and output 12 bytes won't be enough. I argued it should. I'm even going to check this soon :-)

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,