Re: AIM9 slowdowns between 2.6.11 and 2.6.12-rc1

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 14:07:30 EST

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 15:37 +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:
> While testing the page placement policy patches on 2.6.12-rc1, I noticed
> that aim9 is showing significant slowdowns on page allocation-related
> tests. An excerpt of the results is at the end of this mail but it shows
> that page_test is allocating 18000 less pages.
>
> I did not check who has been recently changing the buddy allocator but
> they might want to run a benchmark or two to make sure this is not
> something specific to my setup.

Can you get some kernel profiles to see what, exactly, is causing the
decreased performance? Also, what kind of system do you have? Does
backing this out help? If not, can you test some BK snapshots to see
when this started occurring?

http://linus.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/cset@422de02c1628MP_noKSum9sGlTaC-Q

-- Dave