Re: i8042 controller on Toshiba Satellite P10 notebook - patch

From: Jaco Kroon
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 15:47:40 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2005 12:07 PM, Jaco Kroon <jaco@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

>>>I was under impression that "usb-handoff" kernel parameter fixed the
>>>problem and therefore the patch is not needed. Am I wrong?
>>>
>>Yes, to a certain extent. usb-handoff causes the whole notebook to lock
>>up at the next reboot (as in it doesn't even come up with the BIOS
>>splash screen). The only way to recover from that is to disconnect all
>>power from the notebook, leave it for a couple of seconds, reconnect and
>>only then can you go on. It does however help with the whole
>>touchpad/keyboard problem (can't remember whether it fixes the keyboard
>>requires usb-1.1 or the AUX problem).
>>
> I see... Have you tried compiling i8042, atkbd and psmouse as modules
> and adjusting the init scripts so they are all loaded after USB
> drivers are loaded - does it also cause lock up on reboot? I wonder
> if it is usb-handoff probem or it is a bigger problem with USB on your
> Toshiba.

I'm not so sure that it a usb problem. Remember that acpi=off also
fixes the problem - but also result in the black void of death as I've
come to call it. I would not be surprised whichever way this one goes
(bug in kernel or bug in hardware).

As for loading the modules i8042, atkbd and psmouse (in that order):
black void of death.

Jaco
--
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
http://www.kroon.co.za/