Re: Use of C99 int types

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 16:43:23 EST

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Al Viro wrote:

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:30:52PM +0200, Renate Meijer wrote:

When used improperly. The #define Al Viro objected to, is
objectionable. It's highly
misleading, as Mr. Viro pointed out. I fail to see where he made
comments on stdint.h
as such.

Comments on stdint.h are very simple: ...fast... type names are misleading
in exactly the same way as that define. The fact that they are in standard
does not outweight the confusion potential.

I don't find stdint.h in the kernel source (up to 2.6.11). Is this
going to be a new addition?

It would be very helpful to start using the uint(8,16,32,64)_t types
because they are self-evident, a lot more than size_t or, my favorite
wchar_t.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.11 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.