Re: Overcommit_memory logic fails when swap is off

From: Martin Egholm Nielsen
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 03:54:55 EST

Hello there,

After 2½ year I stumbled over this thread:

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 13:23, Alan Cox wrote:
2.5 propses including the ability to set the %age between the 0% of
mode 3, the 50 of mode 2 and upwards to things relevant in some
embedded system cases. So for 2.6 you will be able to tune it in
different ways according to precise understanding of workload.
Alan, hch or someone asked if it would be possible to merge the 2.5 behavior into 2.4-ac ... are you interested or do you not want to break compatibility?

Note for "mode 2" the behavior is identical. For "mode 3" they would also need to set vm_memory_ratio to "0".

If you are willing, I'll send you a diff...
> Robert Love
As I can see, the patch never made it in 2.4.x, right?!
So, I would like a diff - if still possible :-)

I know it's been a while, but I'm stuck with a 2.4 kernel for my embedded device and have problems with the OOM...

Best regards,
Martin Egholm