Re: [RFC/Patch 2.6.11] Take control of PCI Master Abort Mode

From: Ross Biro
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 08:50:57 EST

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

Is this related (or could it be -- or should it be) at all to the
current discussion on the linux-pci mailing list
linux-pci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) about "PCI Error Recovery
API Proposal" ?

I'm not familiar with the proposal, but this is not related to error recovery since master aborts are a way of life on the PCI bus and things just need to deal. The only question is how.

the master. This can only happen when the system is heavily loaded.

or a PCI device isn't playing nicely?

Yes, but at least then you could blame the device in that case.

[ style and grammar comments noted ]

One thing I did fail to mention in my original post is that all of this could be done by rc scripts from user space, but that seems unclean to me.

Ross