Re: [linux-usb-devel] USB glitches after suspend on ppc

From: Colin Leroy
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 12:23:09 EST

On 05 Apr 2005 at 13h04, David Brownell wrote:

Hi,

> > There are known issues with USB after suspend/resume (D3 hot) on
> > powerpc.
>
> Also known fixes to some of them, which haven't yet been merged.
> I'll repost these as followups to this message, to linux-usb-devel
> and CC Colin. They're in the 2.6.12-rc2-mm1 patchset.
>
> To my understanding, such issues have been around for some time
> now, although recent kernels have tossed monkey wrenches into
> several other cases that previously worked just fine. (Ergo those
> nyet-merged patches...)
>

> > For example, plugging or unplugging devices during sleep
> > results in oopses at resume; and one time out of two, the USB ports
> > are unpowered on resume (because the registers think they are, and
> > linux doesn't repower them. but they're not).
> >
> > Both of these issues have patches available, patches that can be
> > found there for example:
> >
> > http://colino.net/ibookg4/usb-ohci-fixes.patch
> > http://colino.net/ibookg4/usb-ehci-power.patch
> >
> > What kind of work on these is needed so that they get in?
>
> Briefly, given 2.6.12-rc2 plus the patches mentioned above,
> find out what else is needed.
>
> * The first of them is Paul's patch, and I never got a
> response to the questions I asked him about it.
>
> - 2.6.12-rc2 does have the fix to check for HC_STATE_QUIESCING,
> which should supplant the need for a new "suspending" quirk.
>
> - And the first of those patches waiting merge does update the
> handling of IRQs in the PCI-to-USB glue.
>
> - So the main change from that patch which is unresolved is
> moving the PMAC-specific stuff up from the OHCI code into
> into the the usb/core/hcd-pci code. Presumably you could
> do that? I assume that it really is needed at that layer,
> though it'll only relate to OHCI cells on Apple ASICs.
>
> * As for the second, that looks to be a hardware-specfic issue
> that just wouldn't reproduce with the controllers I was using
> for PM testing. What I'll do is wrap up an equivalent fix with
> some related EHCI updates for power switching, post that, and
> ask you to verify that it works (probably simplest to do that
> with OHCI non-modular and not loaded).
>
> How's that sound?

Nice :)

Ok, here are the results of my tests with 2.6.12-rc2 and the patches
you sent me applied:

- plug USB device, sleep, unplug USB device, resume: no more oops
- sleep, plug in USB device: no oops, but it wakes the laptop up for a
few seconds; then, it goes back to sleep. No oops on second resume. I
can live with that :)

- once out of two resumes, resume leaves the ports unpowered; so I still
need my usb-ehci-power.patch that re-powers ports unconditionnaly.

--
Colin