Re: 2.6.12-rc2-mm1

From: Barry K. Nathan
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 22:07:30 EST

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:27:49PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> "Barry K. Nathan" <barryn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I've narrowed the problem down to one patch. In 2.6.11-mm3, the
> > problem goes away if I remove this patch:
> > swsusp-enable-resume-from-initrd.patch
>
> That really helps, thanks.

You're welcome.

> The patch looks fairly innocent. I'll give up on this and cc the
> developers.

Yeah, it *seemed* innocent enough -- that's why I had to do a binary
search on the 2.6.11-mm3 "series" file in order to find it as the
culprit...

> > (Recap of the problem in case this gets forwarded: Resume is almost
> > instant without the apparently-guilty patch. With the patch, resume
> > takes almost half an hour.)
> >
> > BTW, there's another strange thing that's introduced by 2.6.11-rc2-mm1:
> > With that kernel, suspend is also ridiculously slow (speed is comparable
> > to the slow resume with the aforementioned patch). 2.6.11-rc2 does not
> > have that problem.
>
> Does reverting swsusp-enable-resume-from-initrd.patch fix this also?

No. Reverting it from 2.6.12-rc2-mm1 (oops, I got the version number
wrong in my previous mail -- and that should also be 2.6.12-rc2 not
2.6.11-rc2) speeds up resume to the original speed, but suspend is still
ridiculously slow. Time to narrow things down again, I presume...

> > Also, with 2.6.12-rc2-mm1, this computer happens to hit the bug where
> > all the printk timestamps are 0000000.0000000 (don't take the # of
> > digits too literally). Probably unrelated, but I may as well mention it.
> > (System is an Athlon XP 2200+ with SiS chipset. I can't remember which
> > model of SiS chipset.)
>
> Yes, sorry. Reverting
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.12-rc2/2.6.12-rc2-mm1/broken-out/sched-x86-sched_clock-to-use-tsc-on-config_hpet-or-config_numa-systems.patch
> will fix that one.

I kind of figured that from another LKML discussion but I wasn't 100%
sure that's what I should do.

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn@xxxxxxxxx>