Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Jan Hudec
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 02:45:59 EST

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:42:08 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> PS. Don't bother telling me about subversion. If you must, start reading
> up on "monotone". That seems to be the most viable alternative, but don't
> pester the developers so much that they don't get any work done. They are
> already aware of my problems ;)

I have looked at most systems currently available. I would suggest
following for closer look on:

1) GNU Arch/Bazaar. They use the same archive format, simple, have the
concepts right. It may need some scripts or add ons. When Bazaar-NG
is ready, it will be able to read the GNU Arch/Bazaar archives so
switching should be easy.
2) SVK. True, it is built on subversion, but adds all the distributed
features necessary. It keeps mirror of the repository localy (but can
mirror only some branches), but BitKeeper did that too. It just hit
1.0beta1, but the development is progressing rapidly. There was
a post about ability to track changeset dependencies lately on their
mailing-list.

I have looked at Monotone too, of course, but I did not find any way for
doing cherry-picking (ie. skipping some changes and pulling others) in
it and I feel it will need more rework of the meta-data before it is
possible. As for the sqlite backend, I'd not consider that a problem.

Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>