Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 05:45:16 EST

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Andrew Morton writes:
> > The problem with those is letting other people get access to it. I guess
> > that could be fixed with a bit of scripting and rsyncing.
>
> Yes.

Me too ;-)

> > (I don't do that for -mm because -mm basically doesn't work for 99% of the
> > time. Takes 4-5 hours to out a release out assuming that nothing's busted,
> > and usually something is).
>
> With -mm we get those nice little automatic emails saying you've put
> the patch into -mm, which removes one of the main reasons for wanting
> to be able to get an up-to-date image of your tree. The other reason,

FYI, for Linus' BK tree procmail was telling me, if it encountered a patch on
the commits list which was signed-off by me.

> of course, is to be able to see if a patch I'm about to send conflicts
> with something you have already taken, and rebase it if necessary.

And yet another reason: to monitor if files/subsystems I'm interested in are
changed.

Summarized: I'd be happy with a mailing list that would send out all patches
(incl. full comment headers, cfr. bk-commit) that Linus commits.

An added bonus would be that people would really be able to reconstruct the
full tree from the mails, unlike with bk-commits (due to `strange' csets caused
by merges). Just make sure there are strictly monotone sequence numbers in the
individual mails.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds