Re: /dev/random problem on 2.6.12-rc1

From: Simon Derr
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 10:40:36 EST

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Yura Pakhuchiy wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 14:40 +0200, Patrice Martinez wrote:
> > When using a machine with a 2612-rc 1kernel, I encounter problems
> > reading /dev/random:
> > it simply nevers returns anything, and the process is blocked in the
> > read...
> > The easiest way to see it is to type:
> > od < /dev/random
> >
> > Any idea?
>
> Because, /dev/random use user input, mouse movements and other things to
> generate next random number. Use /dev/urandom if you want version that
> will never block your machine.
>
> Read "man 4 random" for details.

Something changed since previous versions of the kernel, I guess.
Running `find /usr | wc' on a ssh session generates both network and disk
activity, and you should not expect any other kind of input on a networked
server.

Anyway, still zero bytes coming from /dev/random, for the few minutes I
waited.

This on Linux-2.6.12-rc-bk1, on IA64.