set keyboard repeat rate: EVIOCGREP and EVIOCSREP

From: Vernon Mauery
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 17:32:18 EST

I was wondering if anyone knows how to change the repeatrate on a USB keyboard with a 2.4 kernel. The system is a legacy free system (no ps2 port), so kbdrate does nothing. With evdev loaded, the keyboard and mouse (both USB devices) get registered with the event system and show up as /dev/input/event[01]. I know the event subsystem does software key repeating and was wondering how to change that.

I poked around and found the EVIOCGREP and EVIOCSREP ioctls, but when I tried using them, the ioctl returned invalid parameter. Upon further investigation, I found that the ioctl definitions (located in the linux/input.h header file) are not used in kernel land. That would explain why it failed, but that just means I ran into a dead end. Were those definitions legacy code from 2.2 or is it something that never got implemented, only defined? I also noticed that the defines are gone in 2.6. So how _does_ one go about changing the repeat rate on a keyboard input device in 2.4?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Vernon Mauery