Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Matthias-Christian Ott
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 12:34:07 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:

SQL Databases like SQLite aren't slow.

After applying a patch, I can do a complete "show-diff" on the kernel tree
to see the effect of it in about 0.15 seconds.

Also, I can use rsync to efficiently replicate my database without having to re-send the whole crap - it only needs to send the new stuff.

You do that with an sql database, and I'll be impressed.

Linus

Ok, but if you want to search for information in such big text files it slow, because you do linear search -- most datases use faster search algorithms like hashing and if you have multiple files (I don't if you're system uses multiple files (like bitkeeper) or not) which need a system call to be opened this will be very slow, because system calls itself are slow. And using rsync is also possible because most databases store their information as plain text with meta information.

Mattthias-Christian Ott