Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Rajesh Venkatasubramanian
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 17:40:45 EST

Linus wrote:
It looks like an operation like "show me the history of mm/memory.c" will
be pretty expensive using git.

Yes. Per-file history is expensive in git, because if the way it is indexed. Things are indexed by tree and by changeset, and there are no per-file indexes.

Although directory changes are tracked using change-sets, there seems to be no easy way to answer "give me the diff corresponding to
the commit (change-set) object <sha1>". That will be really helpful to
review the changes.

Rajesh